Tuesday 30 July 2019

Medieval barn - a summer storm scene


In our country we have a long history, going back to the Stone Age or even sooner. Many objects were found in the earth and in old river beds and even in places where there used to be a sea. The real archaeological objects are kept in museum conditions, but in several places, most of them easy or even freely accessible some of the buildings are reconstructed.
These reconstructions are life size and very picturesque.

For this watercolour I was inspired by the reconstruction of a Medieval barn. This barn has windows that can be closed by shutters that are held by ropes to make them shelves that can display goods for sale or... I was not there in the Medieval times so I cannot be sure of the purpose of this structure. It did look nice and I have tried to sketch and paint it.

The barn was made of unpainted wood which had already turned grayish with time. The thatched roofing also turned dark and grayish, so the roof and the walls were almost the same colour. The overall impression was that of a weather beaten structure and I have tried to depict that atmosphere.
Because the Medieval times are also called the Dark Ages, I have given the sky a stormy appearance. The trees, bushes and grasses are only suggested to create an imaginary landscape for my barn.

Again I enjoyed painting this scene and I am happy with the result.

More information about this watercolour painting (materials used, size, availability, etc) can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment