Monday 16 September 2019

Autumn Leaves


These last weeks I have been painting leaves, branches, berries and acorns and I tried to make compositions that could be seen in nature. For those compositions I have looked at reference pictures and arranged my shapes in a way that suggest 'natural'.
When I am working like this for a while I keep doing the same thing - one painting with acorns, another might be about chestnuts and so on.
To break through this I decided to make a composition of autumn leaves as they might have fallen on the ground after a strong wind.

I have used the shapes of the leaves of the hawthorn, the oak leaves and the leaves of the sycamore tree that were in my last paintings. With these shapes I filled a page in my sketchbook, sometimes erasing, most of the times adding more until I was happy with the result.

For the watercolour painting I have made a single layer background with Raw Sienna and added the leaves, using a lot of different shades of yellow, brown and red.
This took me longer than usual, but it was worth the time I spent on this painting, I have enjoyed working on this composition and the result is better than I hoped it would be.

This month I have been working with red, orange and yellow because I wanted to explore these colours a bit more. A landscape painting often is in shades of blue and green with some brown added when there are trees and that became too much of a habit to me. Green and blue are 'calming' colour shades and I wanted a change. 
Red and orange are more 'uplifting' colours and yellow is like sunshine on my paper. I have started to work with these colours during my painting vacation and now I am still exploring the possibilities. My inspiration has not stopped, so there will be more red, orange or yellow paintings in the future.

The details about paper, paint, size and availability of this watercolour painting can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment