Saturday 2 October 2021

Megalith - watercolour painting

 


As written in my previous post, I have also made a watercolour painting using the sketch I made inspired by a documentary about megaliths.

There was time to select a sheet of paper, soak and stretch it, let it dry and paint so this is the result of today's work. The paper I chose has a rough texture which stays wet or moist much longer than smoother papers so the colours can blend beautifully as is required for the clouds and the grassland. Painting details on rough paper is more difficult because of that same quality so this watercolour painting is much less detailed (compared to the charcoal drawing) because adding more detail would definitely have ruined the foreground. 

In fact it is 'not fair' to compare a watercolour painting to a charcoal drawing, the charcoal can get much darker - almost black - than watercolour, even if I apply several layers of paint. Using the fine structure of the paper, a lot of details can be suggested with a stick of charcoal which is not easy using wet paint on a wet or moist sheet of watercolour paper.

Maybe I should paint another watercolour on paper with a finer texture, so I can see the differences between the two watercolour paintings. That should be a much better  comparison than when I look for the differences between two techniques that are based on very different materials.

In fact I am really happy with the results of today's work, 

The information about the materials I have used, the size and availability of this watercolour painting can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment