Sunday 3 May 2015

My first great white egret!


About four years ago I saw my first great white egret - in the wild in a natural reserve in Belgium. Nowadays they are more common in our Dutch landscape, but that was really a special moment for me.
We were standing high in a bird watching tower and I had my little sketchbook with me. The egret was so kind to perch there up in the bushes as long as I needed to sketch him (or her) and the shapes of the bushes and trees it chose for a resting place.

It took a while until I could decide how to paint the bird in its natural habitat.
Paintings like this have been done before and sometimes I like to do things a bit different.
Then suddenly I realised that this approach, with white gouache, watercolours and a black background would make my painting a bit more interesting. And challenging too, for I'm still exploring this technique. 
So here it is: my first great white egret!

more information about this painting (size etc.) can be found at www.jannekesatelier.co.nr

No comments:

Post a Comment