Saturday 16 November 2019

Autumn in the Arboretum


First of all: the reference picture for this watercolour was made (for me) by Yvonne Koningen and I am really happy that she allowed me to use it.

In our country it's Autumn and the Von Gimborn Arboretum (Tree Museum) is beautiful now. I have seen some of the pictures that were made there last week and I envy those that go there often.

Most of the red leaves of this tree - I think a maple tree -  are still on the branches so it looks like there are large red clouds in the reference picture with some leaf ends pointing out. 
I was inspired by the colour of the leaves, almost a fiery red against a grayish background and the dark colour of the branches. 

I have tried to paint these 'red clouds' and to create a point of interest with some more detailed leaves. This was a bit of a struggle, because the colour values of the red 'clouds' and the blue background were very close. The groups of leaves really were almost clouds so I had to do something. The solution was easy, the darkness of the branches was strengthened a bit to create the darkest colour of the painting and to create a sense of movement from the bottom left  to the top corner right.

It has been a long time since I have painted on a half sheet (most of my paintings since summer were on 1/4 sheet or smaller) and maybe that explains a part of my struggle. The fact that I do not show most details of the leaves now - as I have done in almost every painting I made since last summer - was a change as well.
I write this short after I have finished my watercolour painting and I am still not completely happy with it, it's different from what I had in mind. But I am sure tomorrow it will look better, after I have been away from it for a while.

The details about paper and paint used, availability and contact information can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment