Monday 3 February 2020

In my garden - Helleborus niger


This year I could not resist  the temptation to paint my 'Christmas Rose' or Helleborus Niger. I have made my reference pictures when the flowers were not even completely opened and made up a nice composition with three flowers and some of the leaves that are surrounding them.

A few weeks ago I have bought a new colour and I wanted to find out what I could and could not do with it. 
The new colour (Caput mortuum violet) is in the background and I have also used the background colour in the mixtures for the stems and leaves. This is not only to bring unity to the whole scene, but also because this colour really is in the stems and the darker spots on the leaves of the plant.

I did not want to make a really dark background to make the white flowers stand out, that is something I have done several years ago. I wanted another approach to the theme of white flowers so there is just a little of the background colour behind the flowers. They still do stand out enough to be seen and the atmosphere of the whole scene is just what I wanted it to be.

The details about paper and paints used, size, availability and contact information can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment