Friday 8 January 2021

North Sea beach at low tide

 



A few days ago I did see a challenge announced on a FaceBook page that needed an abstract watercolour painting. A few hours later we were walking on the North Sea beach at low tide and the wave patterns in the sand inspired me to make reference pictures, to be used for an abstract (-ish) painting. Abstract painting is not my usual style so it is no surprise that I have used an example from nature for my painting.

In the patterns were fragments of shells and other things that wash up at high tide and I wanted to include these as well in the painting.

So I made a rough drawing of the wave patterns and masked the shell fragments with masking fluid, let that dry and started painting. 

It took several layers of paint to make the sand look like wet sand and after all had dried I took off the masking fluid and added some colour to the shell fragments.

The information about the materials I have used, the size and availability of this painting can all be found in my Tumblr blog

No comments:

Post a Comment