Tuesday 20 July 2021

Weeping Willow - 3: Sunset colours

 


The third painting in which the weeping willow is my model is an imaginary landscape in sunset colours.

The sky is a warm yellow, there are some clouds and there is a large pond or a lake with a distant shoreline that is reflected in the water. The wet-in-wet technique is perfect for the first layer and after that a more wet-on-dry technique will have to be used to add depth to the shoreline and its reflections without making a total mess of the first layer op paint.

To this point I had planned my painting and I wanted to let the result of these first layers of paint inspire me what to do next. The weeping willow had to be there somehow but I had not decided yet.

Because I had placed the horizon very low there was not enough foreground in the scene to plant a whole tree and have some space around it so I had to be creative here. I placed the painter/viewer under the tree, looking out over the water into the (far) distance. There are only a few branches in sight, painted with a moist brush on dry paper.

The overhanging branches of the willow tree act as a repoussoir in my painting and that is what I needed for my composition. If I had not added these branches the scene could be anywhere, now there is a sense of size and distance that can be related to the size of the branches and leaves of the tree.

The information about the materials I have used, the size, the price and the availability of this watercolour painting can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment