Tuesday 22 February 2022

Along the river Waal - Conté drawing

 



Over the years I have collected a lot of different drawing materials and I don't use these as often as I should. So this year I intend to experiment with these materials a bit more, using free hours during the week to make a quick drawing or sketch or...  Making a drawing or sketch does not take the preparations that have to be made for a watercolour painting, so I can decide I want to work on my drawing skills when I have an unexpected hour for myself.

This scene is along the river Waal (Netherlands) at the spot where we came for inspiration during the painting vacation last summer. As I have written before, I have made several sketches during the time we were there and I am using these sketches now, months later for watercolour paintings or experiments with my materials.

For this drawing I have selected a nice blue sheet of tinted cardboard and used a white, a grey and a black Conté Crayon as my drawing materials. The blue cardboard is not exactly the right colour so I had to add some grey and white for ta better depiction of the summer sky and I used all three colours for the river, as the waves have a darker shadow. The riverbanks are done with all three colours and I hope I have been able to show some of the shadows in the bushes and trees. I know I need more practice before these shadows are what I want them to be.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this drawing and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment