Thursday 4 August 2022

Sunset in Hoek van Holland (Netherlands)

 


Summer is the time to go to the beach and when the weather is good, it is nice to stay until sunset (or later) and drive back home in times of 'not much traffic on the road'. My husband took our two young guests to the beach of Hoek van Holland and made me some reference pictures of the sunset while the young ones were enjoying themselves with beach things.

The reference picture only had shades of yellow, gold, orange and brown so I wanted to make a painting using only those colours. The result is a nice sunset scene with colours that are not often seen in The Netherlands - usually there is some grey or blue visible in the sky and sea.

As this was in Hoek van Holland, the Pier and the radar post at the end of the Pier are also included and far away there is a large ship, barely visible.

Painting a realistic seascape using this limited palette was new for me, but I am really pleased with the result.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this watercolour painting and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment