Sunday 18 December 2022

Leaves - frosted

 



Some weeks ago - but it could also have been this afternoon - my husband and I were walking close to home and we passed by a bush that had not seen the sun yet. The tips of many leaves were still white with frost which contrasted beautifully with the dark green of the leaves. Of course I made some reference pictures and today I wanted to paint these leaves.

For the watercolour painting I selected a small size paper (hoping to finish the painting before it got too dark, the days are really short now) and made my composition drawing with a watercolour pencil, so I would not have to erase the pencil lines after I had finished painting. 

The background - which was made up with more of the same kind of leaves - was painted first using a blue and a yellow to mix some shades of green. After that I mixed more shades of green using a different blue and another yellow. This was used for the leaves I wanted to stand out, but I also mixed win the colours used in the background, so a lot of greens were made with two blues and two yellows. 

Leaving the frosted edges completely white was not right here. so I let the shades of the leaves flow into the paler areas, taking care that only a hint of the colour of the leaf was visible on the paper. In this way I suggested the frosted edges and also some light falling on the waxy leaves.

Painting a scene like this was new for me, but I really liked the challenge I set myself. The result is what I hoped for.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this watercolour painting and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

Please contact me if you are interested in my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment