Monday 2 January 2023

Portrait of a wave

 


Yesterday, New Year's Day, my husband and me went to the beach, for a good portion of sea air after having been indoors for several days (for various reasons, like celebrating birthdays and other nice things) and of course I made pictures of the waves rolling in.

As the North Sea is not a deep sea, the waves are not very big, but for us a wave is a wave. The colour of the water also shows that the sea is not deep, there is always an amount of sand or sediment in the water. This time we had a very grey day, not even the illusion of clouds in the sky so the sea was dark and grey as well.

Painting waves is a challenge for me, I still feel the need to improve my skills. For this painting I made a light pencil drawing and did not use any masking fluid, so the whites of the foam are areas I painted around. This time I did not lose many whites, so I think (hope) I am getting better at this. Just after I finished it did feel a little artificial to me, but after having done something else, that also started to look better. Nor perfect yet, but a credible  wave in the North Sea.

As it was a dark and grey day, my colour palette is very limited, I only added a second blue for the green shade of the wave in the middle.

The result is what I hoped for, and I know I will have to practise this again and again... (not a bad thing to look forward to)

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this watercolour painting and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

If you are interested in my work, please contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment