Friday 4 August 2023

Wild Black Cherry (Prunus serotina)

 


A few months ago we (my husband and me) were walking a signposted walk in the 'Kalmthoutse Heide' when we came past some wild black cherry bushes. These plants were introduced in West-Europe about a century ago and proved to be invasive so now the foresters an nature managers are trying to control and eliminate the plant. That is not an easy task so years after we first learned about the invasive nature of the bush, we still could pass by some of them. 

There were still some berries on the bush so I made some reference pictures with the plan to paint these berries.

For this watercolour painting I selected a small size watercolour paper and worked with a very limited palette, trying my new paint colour in this painting both 'single' and in mixtures. For the background I let the paint flow on the wet paper, gravity was my trusted helper here. After the background had dried, I made the drawing of my berries and after these were painted I added the suggestion of the foliage, using the reference picture as a guide for the shapes. In the end I added some colour to the bottom part of the background to make the composition a bit more balanced.

The result is what I hoped it would be.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this watercolour painting and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment