Saturday 17 February 2024

The Beech District - illustration for a challenge

 


The February challenge of 'Goed Gezien - Goed Bekeken' is to design an impossible building. That really is a challenge, because there are so many buildings that are 'impossible' and more are designed and have appeared in great art works. So I really had to think hard this time. 

My first idea was really nice, a huge sphere with one or more houses inside which can roll in the wind, an internal structure with little balls and ball-bearings keeping the buildings horizontally at all times. But as I do not have the training for such technical drawings I had to think of something else.

My husband suggested a bird's nest like the weaver birds make and that helped. 

Of course I made a tree first, with the ladders to the 'nest houses' hanging down. Then I had to make an enlargement showing the nest house, which I also 'opened up' to show the interior.

For this work I have used watercolour paint, line markers and watercolour pencils and I named it The Beech District, (De Beukenbuurt in Dutch) because I think the tree might be a giant beech tree.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this work and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment