Friday 20 August 2021

Trees in the foreground - 1

 


During my painting vacation I wanted to improve my skills and confidence in working on an abstract background. Our teacher Ad van Aart  showed me some abstract art made by various artists for inspiration and guidance.

For this background I mixed watercolour paint from the tube with a very small amount of water and poured that on my stretched (and dried) paper. I moved the paper a little bit, but the white in between the coloured spots had to stay. After my first layer had dried, I added another colour and let that dry completely. 
This takes time and patience. 
We had a nice day and I used the warmth of the sun to dry my paper, but it took several hours. I decided to continue after some hours and have a very relaxed morning.
Before starting to paint, I gave the edges of the paper a little bit of the last colour I poured on using my usual watercolour technique. This dried quickly.

Inspired by a line of trees close by I painted the trees in the foreground with a contrasting colour. There is some depth in the tree line but these trees are to be as abstract as I could get them without losing the characteristics of the trees.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this work and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment