Saturday 29 June 2024

The old one - 2 a pencil drawing

 


In my previous post I wrote about the big oak tree we saw at the Mantingerveld (The Netherlands) when we made a signposted walk in that Natural Reserve.

The tree was too big for my watercolour paper so I made another attempt to show it. This time I used pencils on 'mixed media' paper, which is more smooth than the watercolour paper I use. Again the tree does not fit on the paper, but I can show its size a bit better now.

The format is landscape, so I can give more space to the very long lower branches. The tree trunk is made smaller compared to the watercolour (in absolute figures, not compared to the branches) so there would be more space to show the branches. Using pencils also means that I can make the details smaller without losing the structure of the subject.

As said, again the tree does not fit on the paper and there are only a few groups of leaves visible, only where they are in front of the tree trunk and the bigger branches. I did not fill in the background with sky, bushes and the suggestion of other trees further back so the tree is my only subject. The ground is only added so it would not be floating in space.

The tree trunk and the branches have several layers of pencil, the first layer is made more intensive with a little water, to 'wake up' the colours. The foliage and the ground have only one layer of pencil colour, with no water added.

When the drawing and the watercolour painting are next to each other, the watercolour has darker colours, the tree is bigger and so it seems to be the better version. When the drawing is on its own, it looks like what I wanted to do, with the emphasis on the structure of the tree.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this drawing and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog. If you are interested in my original artwork, please contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment