Sunday 28 July 2024

Bog oak - a charcoal drawing

 



As I have mentioned before I am member of an amateur art association, 'Goed Gezien - Goed Bekeken' that is based in the 'Alblasserwaard' and 'Molenlanden' (The Netherlands). Every summer a few plein-air painting days are organised in our region and this time we were welcome to paint in a very large garden of one of our members in the village of Giessenburg. The garden really is large and full of inspirational items so every painter found a spot to paint or draw.

In that garden were some bog oaks, retrieved from the surrounding areas when work on ditches was done or a patch of land was prepared for the building of houses. These oaks were at least two hundred years old when they died and were submerged in the peat bog and it is estimated that they have been there up to four thousand years. 

The most beautiful one still had a part of its root structure and I sat down close to it to make a charcoal drawing.

The other side, with much more structure visible was faced to a ditch and too close to it to sit down and draw, so I made reference pictures for later use.

This side of the tree was well lit by the sun and I enjoyed drawing all those little details using my charcoal - and my fingers for blending.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this drawing and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog. If you are interested in my original artworks, please contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment