Monday 24 June 2019

In the Abbey garden


About two years ago I visited the Abbey of Postel (Belgium) with a group of people and I had some time alone which I used to walk in the area and sketch. 
The Abbey has a nice church and a garden around that church and both are inspiring. Because there is not much space and there were a lot of tourists as well, I did make only one sketch I was not really very happy about. So I have not painted the scene until now.

When I  made my sketch I was inspired by the trees and the backside of the church that was surrounded by them. 
To make the sketch I had to stand in the back of the herb garden and I did draw the path I was standing on in my initial sketch but I only suggested it in the painting.

When I was there, it was almost summer and the trees and bushes were full of leaves, hiding most of the church and the  other buildings of the Abbey were not visible from that standing point, most of them were hidden by the tall trees. 

For this watercolour painting I have mixed lots of greens for the trees, the bushes, the small hedgerow and of course all the shadows and I really am happy about how I manage to do that now. As I have written a long time ago, I do not use green paints any more, I mix my greens with blues and yellows and the results are really satisfying - for me.

More information about this painting can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment