Tuesday 3 March 2020

Daffodils



In our garden is a patch of daffodils that grows bigger every year. These are a small variety of daffodils and the bulbs stay in the ground all year long. 
In springtime they bloom with a nice warm yellow colour and this year I was inspired to paint them - again.
My husband made some reference pictures while there was some sunshine and I used these to make a composition sketch.

I wanted to make a yellow painting so the background was painted first and dried  completely before drawing the daffodils using a watercolour pencil in a colour that is also in the background.

The daffodils were painted carefully, using colours that are yellow or very close to yellow and I suggested some stems fading away in the background.

After all the storm and rain we had here these yellow flowers brighten our garden and I wanted to paint that feeling. So there are no dark shadows, no dark earth beneath the flowers, only the flowers that tell me about sunshine - long after the sun has gone from that part of the garden.

The details about paper, paints, size, colours used and availability can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment