Saturday 24 October 2020

Birch bracket - another one for my mushroom collection

 



Last week we had a short vacation in one of our most beautiful Natural Reserves, the 'Sallandse Heuvelrug' and we had the right weather for a signposted walk every day.

This time 'we' also included our children, children-in-law and grandchild so there were a lot of cameras active during the walks. We had a very safe arrangement, with every family in a separate vacation home and the walks were made with a maximum of four adults.

During that short vacation I also brought my 'mobile studio' so I have made some paintings and drawings. This is the first one, a watercolour painting of a beautiful mushroom, a birch bracket or Fomitopsis betulina. My husband made the reference picture. There are also lots of pictures of other mushrooms, but I wanted to do something different and chose this one, growing on a birch tree.

Because I had to find out what the conditions were in our vacation home (drying time, light etc.) I started with a small painting and I simplified the scene as much as possible. This part of the tree was very dark and rough with some moss growing on it and the bushes in the background were too far away to be painted with lots of details. I still have trouble with painting moss - this time it is a green spot on the bark of the tree. The dark colours of the tree were not so much of a problem, when the layers had dried I have added some structure to it, to make clear this is not a pine tree.

For a first painting in a new place (the vacation home) it is really not a bad one. But when I am at home again I will definitely make better paintings in my own, familiar studio.

The information about the paper and paint I have used, the size and availability of this watercolour painting can all be found in the link on the 'Galerie' page of my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment