Wednesday 28 October 2020

Holterberg (Netherlands) - a charcoal drawing

 



When we were making walks the walks during our short stay on the 'Sallandse Heuvelrug' - one of our beautiful Natural Reserves - we did not only make pictures of the mushrooms we found, there were also some landscape pictures, because the landscape really is gorgeous.

One of the walks passed by the Holterberg, not really a mountain, but a hill, like the other hills of this area it was left behind in the landscape after the last Ice Age. In this area the moorland is reconstructed, so trees have been felled, the soil that had become too nutrient-rich is scraped off in order to give the heather plants a chance to grow and prosper again.

The reconstruction was not recent at this particular spot, so there are some trees left and a lot of heather is growing already, but in autumn, after the flowers have gone, these plants are very brown. Next spring there will be fresh green leaves and in the end of summer beautiful purple flowers, but now the plants are not so exciting. 

The structure of the landscape, with hillsides, a road and the trees still did inspire me, so I took a reference picture and the next day I made this drawing.  I was really happy to find out that the people who made the walk with me (my husband, my daughter and her friend) recognised the spot when they saw the drawing.

The information about the materials I have used, the size and availability of this charcoal drawing can be found in the link at the 'Galerie' page of my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment