Sunday 17 October 2021

Larch twig

 


During an autumn walk in our beautiful nature I already was looking for inspiration for this year's Christmas Card. I was looking for pinecones on a branch with some needles as well, but these were all high up in the trees and not easy to photograph. 

Somewhat  lower than where most pinecones were to be seen I found this little larch twig with needles and larch apples. This was also good for what I wanted so I picked it up from the ground (no tree was harmed in the process) and as I held it, my husband made several reference pictures for me.  After that I put it back where I found it and looked further for more inspiration - which I found and will be the subjects of later paintings.

From the pictures that were made I selected the one I liked most and made this watercolour painting on a small size paper. As the twig was my subject I made a light blue background and made a drawing of the most important lines of the twig using a water-soluble pencil. After that I painted the twig carefully, with as little water added to the paint as possible.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this watercolour painting and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment