Sunday 3 October 2021

Megalith - another watercolour painting

 


In my previous post I mentioned that I wanted to know what would be the difference between rough paper and paper with a smoother texture. So today I have painted the same scene, using the same colours, on a different paper. Both paper are cotton papers of the same weight and the same brand so the only difference is the texture. And maybe the conditions of the room I use as my studio (temperature, humidity of the air) and my being more or less relaxed while painting.

The difference is mostly in the sky and clouds where I wanted to paint wet-in-wet for nice colour transitions and tonal differences. The clouds had to be dark and I achieved more darkness than I dared to risk yesterday, but the brushstrokes matter much more on this paper than on the rough paper. I spent a lot of time and energy trying to correct that ending with a painting that is almost overworked.

The colour difference in the foreground happened because I did make some changes in how I applied the colours. More blue near the horizon and just a little brown in the foreground. Because of the texture of this paper I could add some more details without ruining my nice wet-in-wet foreground.

The stones are painted with less paint and corrections. That worked well for the small one on the right, but the standing stone might have been a bit darker.

Both watercolours are different and that was to be expected. In both paintings are some things that could be improved and in both paintings are things that are very good. The conclusion of this weekend is that because of the difference in paper texture both paintings cannot really be compared and have to be judged for their own value.

This painting also 'works' well so I am happy with today's result. Now I will not wonder 'What if I had....'  anymore and I can move on to other subjects.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this painting and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment