Tuesday 4 January 2022

Dune Valley - Hoek van Holland

 


During the wintertime we always go for a walk in the dunes along our coast and often we combine that with a short walk by the shoreline. This time we went for a walk in the Dunes of Hoek van Holland where a short walk was recommended. The walk is not signposted, but with a map it is easy to complete the walk without getting lost.

In the beginning of this walk we passed by a small dune valley and I made a reference picture without my own shadow - which was not really easy at that time - and I used that picture for a watercolour painting.

I was inspired by the small path and the line of the dunes in the background. There are several rows of dunes with small bushes but in winter, when all the bushes are equally dark, these are hard to differentiate. Only the sunlight on the smaller branches shows the structure of the dunes and bushes in the background.

The foreground does not only have the small animal path, but also some patches of grasses that all turned to a straw colour now it is winter. I have painted the dark and light patches of the foreground and have not tried to indicate the grasses as that would be too much detail. What I wanted to paint is the atmosphere of this small dune valley and the result of my work pleases me.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this watercolour painting and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment