Saturday 23 July 2022

View towards Schoonhoven (Netherlands)

 


Our amateur art association 'Goed Gezien - Goed Bekeken' does not only have a monthly challenge, in the springtime and summer there are also days with plein-air painting. Today was such a Plein-Air painting day and we were located in the old town of Nieuwpoort. 

Nieuwpoort is at the river Lek and today I wanted to paint a river view and a part of the (also old) town of Schoonhoven was included in that view. I took a position on the fortress wall of Nieuwpoort, a nice high spot with great views to all sides of which I painted only one.

There was a lot of traffic on the river, but there were also a lot of quiet moments, so I could see the trees and the church towers on the opposite river bank very well. I also added the groynes of the river side I was standing on to create a foreground to my painting.

Later in the day these groynes were almost flooded, there is some tidal movement as far inland as Nieuwpoort. It was a bright sunny day and I had to adapt to fast drying paint and wetted paper, but  after I did that I finished my painting without any real problems.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this watercolour painting and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment