Friday 1 July 2022

Weeping Willow 6


 

Another experiment with the working sketch of the weeping willow as my reference. This time I have used oil pastels on watercolour paper and painted with watercolour afterwards.

The oil pastel lines are suggesting some branches and leaves of a weeping willow tree, like when the viewer is standing under such a tree. The oil pastel lines are broken because of the structure of the paper and that is what I wanted. 

After the oil pastel lines were in place I painted the weeping willow is very familiar to  me now with colours that suggest a sunny summer day. Some of the branches are in the water of the pond where the tree is standing. Weeping willows are always beside a pond or a larger area of water that is how they like it.

Some smaller details in the foliage were added with a smaller brush this time and the background is only suggested. It could be a large field of grass on the other side of the pond with a few bushes in the distance.

The experiment with the oil pastel did not work out as I hoped, the lines do not contrast the painting as much as I wanted them to, due to the colour choices I made so there is more experimenting to be done in the future. Despite that, I am happy with the result.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this work and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment