Thursday 27 July 2023

Purple loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria) - pencil drawing

 


After I had been drawing the Cattails (see my post about them) I wanted to use that paper more often. Because of the special colour of the tinter paper (vert-de-gris) not many subjects are suitable for a drawing. The reeds and cattails inspired me, so I made some reference pictures of the purple loosestrife that often grows near these plants.

The purple loosestrife also grows on the edges of water, just like the reeds and cattails so I made my drawing using the view of the leaves of the broadleaf cattail behind the purple flowers. My reference picture was made from a safe distance and I used that to draw the impression of the flowers instead of showing all the details. 

Making a good picture of my drawing was a challenge again, not only the colour of the paper is somewhat elusive, the magenta I used for the flowers also fades to red. In the end I used a camera (not my phone) and settled for the right colour of the drawing, not so much for the paper.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of my drawing and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog. If you are interested in my work, please contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment