Saturday 1 July 2023

Windmill 'De Liefde' in rainy weather

 


Today we - members of 'Goed Gezien - Goed Bekeken' - planned to go painting en plein air at the windmill 'De Liefde'. That windmill is open for visitors and will run every Saturday in summer. It is situated at the river Lek and the views are really great. In the right conditions you can see the skyline of Rotterdam from the gallery.

Today we did not have the best weather conditions, it rained. So after coffee and some talking about windmills and painting, I decided to go outside and make some reference pictures for the painting I wanted to make.

Looking West, I could see the windmill, the river and the incoming rain. At the horizon the river just vanished into the rain and the clouds and I just wanted to paint that - but not en plein air. So I returned home, stretched some paper and started working.

For this painting I wanted the windmill to be recognisable, but I did not want to include all the details. Most details are not even visible in the reference picture because of the weather conditions and the mill had a little back light.

The greyness of the sky and the river made me use my new colour again and this time I also used it for mixing the greys, greens and shadow colours. I really enjoyed this.

This watercolour painting is what I hoped for, so I am really happy that I went home to paint in my little studio.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of the painting and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment