Wednesday 3 January 2024

The base, beech tree


 

A few months ago, during our short vacation in Vaals (Netherlands) we made some signposted walks. I have already posted paintings of the views over the hills but of course I have also made reference pictures of trees and tree roots.

This beautiful beech tree had some nice exposed roots, the sunlight caused some highlights and shadows so I had to make a watercolour painting of it.

For the painting I have used only two colours - and not the most obvious ones - for an experiment in 'does this give my painting the atmosphere I want it to have?' and the result pleases me.

Before I made the painting I first made a charcoal drawing


This drawing was used as reference for the painting, just like I did during my latest painting vacation in August. 

And again, the atmosphere of a charcoal drawing is very different from a painting, even with a very limited palette. Still, the results are what I hoped for.


The information about the materials I have used, the size of both the watercolour painting and the charcoal drawing and their availabilities can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment