Sunday 14 January 2024

Tree bark - a graphite drawing

 


The patterns of tree bark are beautiful! Last summer I have been drawing and painting the bark of a redwood tree, this time I have made a drawing of the bark of another coniferous tree - I do not know which species.

The reference picture was enlarged so I could concentrate on the structures of the tree bark.

For this work I used a small sheet of watercolour paper and made an under painting with a nice granulating colour and let this dry naturally. After that I picked a Graphitint Pencil and started to draw the lines and shadows of the tree bark. Because I only used one pencil, I had to think about the values, the original reference picture has more colours in the tree bark than only shades of brown.

The darkest shadows were touched with a brus with a little water, to 'awaken' the water soluble graphite tint of the pencil and darken the shadows even more.

This experiment has turned out nice, at least for me. The results are what I expected and in the (near) future I will make more works concentrating on the structures of tree bark. 

Maybe I will be a bit bolder in my colour choices and add more techniques and materials after a while, but I will have to find out what I really want first. And that can only be achieved by making more drawings or paintings.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this work and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment