Wednesday 21 August 2024

Tree bark - oak


During this painting week I also wanted to do something with tree bark, like I have done before but now a bit more experimental.

For this one I made a reference picture of the bark of an oak tree and gathered some leaves. Our teached and coach Ad van Aart advised me about how to make my composition.

The watercolour under painting is as usual and I used a pencil for the structure of the tree bark, awakening the colour at the darkest spots with a touch of water. 

After that I started laying the leaves on the drawing and outlining them with pencils that will show bright colours when 'awakened' with water. By allowing leaves to overlap and using the nagative space between the leaves I got irregular shapes of colour. Only the red shapes might be recognised as parts of leaves. In the end I added some more colour to some parts of the structure of the tree bark.

Of course this is only a first experiment, there are many more possibilities I want to explore in the future.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this work and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment