Sunday 25 March 2018

The Wadden Sea - winter on Texel


One of the drawings I have made during our short stay at Texel was not showing the 'drama' I wanted to show, maybe because the pencils I used were not the right ones for that effect. Besides, I was not really happy with the dyke in the picture. Of course it was there and I used it in the drawing, but it looked too unnatural for the scene.

I decided to make a watercolour painting, using the same reference but now changing the dyke for the dunes that were on the other side (when making this picture I had my back to the dunes). 
The ice had covered much of the sands of the 'Wadden Sea' here, but in many places the sands could be seen above the ice. On the horizon the North Sea is visible, just a small line.
The dark shapes are pieces of wood, possibly remains of poles standing in the sandbanks.
This is what made me take a reference picture.

Using watercolour I was able to make the wooden shapes as dark as they were, a nice contrast against the lighter colours of the ice.
This is what I wanted, so I am happy with this painting.

More information about this painting (size, paper and paints used, availability, etc) can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment