Saturday 24 August 2019

In my garden - my cucumber plant


Back home again after a week of painting and learning means driving home in the first place, washing clothes, putting all painting stuff in their places in the little studio and posting my artwork on my website, blog and Instagram.
In short,  there is a bit of a distance between the vacation and where I am now, not only because of the three hours drive home. I have returned to normal life again.

I still want to continue painting like I have done last week under the guidance of Ad van Aart and there is a deadline for a challenge. 
The August challenge of 'Goed Gezien - Goed Bekeken' (the amateur art association of which I am a member) is all about coming home after a vacation or any other trip.

So what do I come home to? 
Lots of things, but in this case I found a very patient model in the cucumber plant in my garden. I have sketched flowers, leaves and one cucumber and made a composition out of these shapes that would fit on the sheet of paper I have chosen for this painting.
There were some more shades of yellow to experiment with and I have chosen to paint the leaves in the green shades that appear when a grayish blue is mixed with one of my yellow colours. 
The yellow background did interfere with the mixtures of green, as was to be expected. That is one of the nice challenges of watercolour, the background colour will always be part of the result. 

I have tried to return to that 'state of mind' I was in during that wonderful week in Milonga and I think I could do that quite well. Now I have to make my decisions (about composition, these are the ones that still make me feel insecure) all on my own, without any help from a teacher, but I just want to be able to do this, so I have to practise!

Last Saturday I left France with a lot of ideas so I will continue painting in the weeks to come and I hope I will lose my insecurities about composition while painting.

The details about the materials I used and other information can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment