Tuesday 10 September 2019

Acorns again - as foretold


In my previous post I already foretold that I would be using the same composition sketch again, now using different background colours. This is what I had in mind, a painting with the leaves standing out against a background with more dark browns.

For this watercolour painting I have made a single layer background in light ochre colours and made a drawing of my sketch on that background. Then I started to darken the areas around the leaves and acorns with a dark brown and strengthened the Burnt Sianna in the background.

The shapes of the leaves were now accentuated by adding shadows and the branches and acorns were painted.

At this point I decided I was happy with the result.

The last few paintings I did were using a much more 'complicated' background and the subject was added with darker shades of the colours I had used. 
This time the background was darkened around the subject, resulting  in light coloured leaves that still have the colour scheme of the initial ochre background. 
When this painting is compared to the previous one there is a big difference in the resulting atmosphere. I really like to be experimenting like this with all the colours I have gathered over the years and I am still learning with every painting I make.

The details about paper, paint, size and availability can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment