Thursday 9 January 2020

De Biesbosch, morning mist


The last day of 2019 was a very foggy day. We started in the morning without a view from the windows but that got better in a few hours.
We (my husband and me) decided to go for a short walk in 'De Biesbosch', a Natural Reserve very close to where we live. This is a very wet area, formed during a flood in the year 1421 and the tides can still be experienced here.

We had a lot of mist and a bit of sunshine during our walk and at one point we could see the reeds and the creek close by, but the woodlands behind the reeds were almost the same shade of grey as the foggy sky. 
There was no wind, so the water in the creek was completely still and everything was reflected as clearly as possible on such a foggy day. 
Of course some reference pictures were made!

I decided to make a charcoal drawing of this scene, the shades of grey were inviting me to choose that technique. 
There was another reason for charcoal, making a charcoal drawing is faster than watercolour, and I did not have the time to prepare a sheet of paper and paint a watercolour painting. That is for the weekend, as my days off from work are over.

The details about the paper I used, the size, availability and contact information can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment