Saturday 11 January 2020

The roots of Civilization


  
This started as an experiment to find out whether I would like to paint like this or not at all. And of course I wanted to find out if this would work at all or end in a disaster.
Both questions can be answered in a positive way: yes, I like this and yes, it worked good enough.

The reference is a picture we made almost twelve years ago at Stonehenge. We were too late to enter so the pictures were made from behind the fence, showing the whole site in one image. I have used a part of one of those pictures to make my composition.

The plan was to make a sky, paint the stones and let the colours of the stones bleed down, thus forming the 'roots' of the stones. To be sure I did have enough space to let it happen I have chosen to paint on a half sheet of watercolour paper.
The edges of the stones that could get some sunlight were painted red, the rest of the stones were painted in all of my Twilight Colours and I let these colours mix and run to make some new shades.
I have used clear water to let the colours of the stones drip down - and my working surface was tilted as much as possible to let gravity help the process.

This technique is very much dependent on the circumstances of the moment and planning is not really possible. I did not interfere in the dripping, knowing that I would ruin my painting in doing so.

I really enjoyed painting this one, allowing the colours to mix on my paper and hoping for a result that can be published. The title came to my mind after I had finished the painting and was looking at it to see if I should add something (what was not necessary).

The details about the paper and paints used, availability and contact information can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment