Wednesday 22 January 2020

Reeds in winter - a charcoal drawing


This is the second drawing I made after the reference picture my husband made during our short walk in 'De Biesbosch'.
The first is in my previous post and after I had finished that drawing I asked my husband whether he would like me to try how this scene looks in charcoal - and the answer was a positive one.

So this is the second version, in charcoal. I have used the picture for my reference again and started drawing the reed plumes after I had made a light grey background. 
The plumes were standing out too much against the background so I have added the suggestion of much more reeds. If I had not done this, the reeds would be standing alone in an unnatural way.
This was not so strong in the first version, possibly because of the softer colours of the watercolour pencils that were used for the reeds. 

This charcoal version has a very different 'feel' to it compared to the pencil version and in fact I like both results. 

The details about size, paper used and availability can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment