Thursday 4 June 2020

Peony - mixed media


In my garden is a large group of peonies. I have been drawing the leaves in autumn, the closed flower buds in springtime and now I made a mixed media of a flower that was not open yet. 
My husband made the picture late in the afternoon and the next day the flower opened.

For this mixed media I have used paper with only a very little bit of texture, made a watercolour underpainting in pink and started drawing the flower bud. In fact I should write flower buds, because there is a closed one behind the one that is dominating the scene. The stem and some leaves were also added using my watercolour pencils.
The dark background was also painted, as I had planned from the beginning.
Because the paper I used is not ideal for many layers of watercolour painting I have added some leaf shapes in the shadows under the flower using my darkest green pencil again.

This was to be an experiment with my materials, but the process did not really have any surprises for me. Of course I am still learning but I already know what to expect from this combination of materials and I can challenge myself more with the subject I am painting or drawing.

The information about the paper, paints and pencils I have used, the size and availability are in the link at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment