Saturday 19 June 2021

Behind the clouds...

 


After a week of clear skies we had a day with clouds, blue sky and sunshine. At the end of the afternoon, when the sun is lower in the sky the skyscape can be spectacular and that inspired my husband to make some pictures for me.

Of course I wanted to paint that and I found a sheet of white paper - I do usually use paper that is not completely or 'optically' white - and started my usual preparations.

This sheet of paper had been waiting to be used for over ten years now and the edges had lost some of the original sizing, so I had to tape the soaked paper with some extra tape, in order to mark the workable surface. While painting I noticed that I could not add water and paint and move all that around as much as I like to do, so I had to restrain myself a little. 

For the skyscape I marked the outline of the clouds with a watercolour pencil and started painting the sky first with some layers of blue. After that I mixed a grey using the blues that were already in the sky and added the shadows in the clouds and the sky. For these shadows I used several shades of the mixed grey, diluting the original strong mixture with water. The white linings were either left unpainted or lifted out with a damp brush. The shades of grey and blue were painted over with other mixtures where that was needed for the result I wanted to achieve.

For the final touch I added the treetop with a dark green.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this painting, its price and availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment