Wednesday 30 June 2021

Weeping Willow - 2: Almost sunrise

 



This is the second watercolour with the weeping willow as my model. In my previous post I have written about Tonalism and my plans to make a series of paintings using the weeping willow as my model, placing the tree in various landscapes and weather conditions.

This time I have placed the tree in an imaginary landscape, it has a nice pond to stand next to, there are bushes and trees in the background and I have added the suggestion of buildings, as this tree stands in a city park. 

In fact, in The Netherlands weeping willows are usually planted next to ponds or wide ditches as they thrive in moist or wet soil. That does limit my options for the next paintings a little bit, but it is great for my water-painting skills.  

This time I have painted a 'before sunrise' mood, with clouds in the sky and the red of the rising sun beginning to fade away.  The orange and yellow colours of the rising sun are yet to come, we are still in the blue hour. The colours of the grass are already visible but the trees and bushes have backlight so these are mostly dark shapes against the sky.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this watercolour, its price and availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment