Thursday 23 September 2021

Autumn Colours - a tinted charcoal drawing

 



During a short walk very close to our home - we did not leave our hometown - we could see the colours on the trees and bushes already changing. I made reference pictures of a branch of common dogwood (Cornus sanguinea) with leaves that were having a nice shade of purple before turning to a reddish brown. The berries were looking great as well, though they were mostly in the shadows they had a nice glow.

For this drawing I selected a sheet of coloured carboard in a shade of green that was as close to the colour of the bushes in the background and I started drawing with my Tinted Charcoal pencils. 

To draw the leaves and berries I layered different colours as much as possible, sometimes blending them and adding another layer of lines. This process was repeated with all the leaves and berries until the drawing looked like what I wanted it to look like - or as close to that as possible. To indicate the background leaves and shadows I added some shapes with the 'neutral' coloured pencil.

The information about the materials I have used, the size and availability of this drawing can all be found in my Tumblr blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment