Sunday 26 September 2021

Weeping willow - Autumn colours

 


It has been a while since I painted an imaginary landscape with the little weeping willow in it, so I made one today.

There are three weeping willows in this painting, the landscape may be imaginary, yet I wanted to paint a scene that might be realistic. So there are three trees on the bank of a pond that is situated in a small parc in a town. The town's buildings are suggested in the background. There may be a path in the parc and there are reeds in the pond.

As autumn is very very near, I wanted to paint the autumn colours of a weeping willow and I added a strong wind to complete the autumn mood. The leaves of a weeping willows turn yellow before they fall and turn brown so I have used several shades of yellow and a brown to paint the foliage that is still on the trees. Some leaves are already blowing in the wind, I have splattered paint to suggest that. The reeds are also bending in the same direction.

To suggest the reeds I have not only used a very small, almost dry brush with some of the colour mixes that are also used for the grass, but in addition to that I have used some watercolour sticks in their dry form to draw some sharp lines. Some of the lines in the trees are also a yellow watercolour stick.

The watercolour sticks are pure paint of the same quality that comes in pans and used with a wet brush there is no difference between the paint from a stick and the paint from a pan or tube. These sticks can also be used to draw lines and I like that idea very much so I have a few of these sticks in shades that can be used in landscape paintings.

The information about all the materials I have used, the size and availability of this watercolour painting can be found in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment