Wednesday 29 September 2021

Megalith - charcoal drawing

 


This charcoal drawing does have a very unusual source of inspiration, a documentary about megaliths do be precise. There were some wonderfully atmospheric landscape shots in the documentary and I started sketching the one that made the strongest impression as soon as possible to remember that landscape and atmosphere.

My sketch does have a lot of notes - as usual - and I wanted to work from that sketch even before I had the time for a watercolour painting. Watercolour painting needs some preparation because the paper has to be soaked, stretched and dried again before I can start painting.

A charcoal drawing is quick because I only have to gather my materials and start drawing. To recreate the atmosphere of the scene in the documentary a charcoal drawing is perfect as although there was some colour in the scene the dark clouds and the solitude of that one standing stone made that me want to draw and paint.

Of course I am not finished with this scene now, there will also be a watercolour painting - when I have the time to prepare and paint properly.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this drawing and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment