Monday 10 October 2022

Looking out...

 


Looking out of a window on our first floor I did see our chestnut tree in its Autumnal splendour, looking great in the bright sunlight. Because there are blinds I had a fragmented view on the tree and its colours but exactly that inspired me to paint.

So I made a reference picture of the tree from that first floor - a bad picture as we have double glass windows - and made plans to paint the next day. 

I used parts of that picture to draw my composition, leaving out the cars parked in the street, the opposite houses and more. After I had a nice composition of leaves I used a ruler to draw the lines for the blinds and masked these shapes using masking fluid.

After the masking dried, I used a neutral brown for my background, painted the leaves, using my memory and imagination to get a nice colour pattern and after that had dried completely, I rubbed away the masking. Next step were the blinds, looking at the real ones I established where the shadows were to be painted and I added the vertical element of the 'thread ladder' that keeps the blinds in the right shape.

It really surprised me that all went right with the masking fluid, as I do not use it often, the bottle is rather old and only half full. But there were no problems at all. 

Of course this was an experiment, but I really like the result.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this watercolour painting and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment