Saturday 6 April 2024

Asparagus - for a challenge / contest

 


The 'Project Rembrandt' competition is back on television (in The Netherlands) and there is every week a project to paint or draw at home. When the home assignment includes acrylic or oil paint I cannot join, but when it is about drawing or sketching I may have a chance.

This time it was about light and dark and the reference was the Asparagus still life by Adriaan Coorte from 1697. In the real contest the competitors had their own bundle of asparagus and a light source to make their own composition, the people who enter in hthe home assignment were allowed to use the reference from the museum (follow the link above). 

The conditions are working with black and white on grey paper.

As it is not yet completely asparagus season (they are in the shops, but expensive), I used the reference from the link provided in the competition.

The result is the best I could do with the paper, charcoal and pencils I have and I am really happy how it turned out.

The information about the materials I have used and the size of this drawing are in my Tumblr blog

Because I have used an existing painting as my reference (with permission as the reference is given in the competition) I am not sure if it is allowed to offer this work for sale.


No comments:

Post a Comment