Tuesday 30 April 2024

Dead tree - pencil drawing (Kalmthoutse Heide)

 


Months ago, end of summer 2023, my husband and I were walking a nice signposted walk in 'Grenspark De Kalmthoutse Heide'  (Belgium) and at one point there was a very impressive dead tree beside the path. It was on the ground in pieces and it looked like it had been huge. Passing by the tree, I made reference pictures from different angles, each showing different views of the tree. This drawing is after the first picture I made.

The tree was lying on sand, beside the path and before a field of heath (which gives the Natural Reserve its name as heath is 'heide' in Dutch) but for the drawing I decided to concentrate on the tree.

Using my watercolour pencils and a small sheet of paper I made the drawing of the tree and used a brush with a little water to 'awaken' the colours. After that I added the sand the tree was lying on and a bit of the grasses and rubble on that sand. That part was not worked on with water, to make clear what my subject is without letting the tree 'float' on my paper.

Thes reference pictures I made of this dead tree will be used for other works, drawing or painting them or even a combination of both techniques.

This drawing is even better than what I hoped for, the use of the water to make the tree stand out in the drawing is giving me nice results, I intend to do that more often.

The information about the materials I have used, the size of this drawing and its availability can all be found in my Tumblr blog.

If you are interested in my original artworks, please contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment