Sunday 24 April 2016

View to Cuijk



Two years ago we were on a short vacation near the town of Nijmegen to celebrate some birthdays, a wedding anniversary and of course to have fun. Some of the days we split up in smaller groups to do what we liked to do and not bother the others with that. Some of us went for a walk in a one part of the area and my children rented bikes to go riding in another, more challenging part of the area. 
It was still April so not all the trees were covered with leaves yet and because it had rained a lot in the previous days there was a foggy atmosphere. 
At some point my son Martijn took the reference picture for this painting. 
Looking over the fields towards the towers of the church of Cuijk that were almost disappearing in the fog. 

The reason this picture took almost two years to get painted is mostly because of all the bushes. It is hard for me - using a wet-in-wet technique mostly - to paint bushes as they should be. This time I really took the time to make a sketch with all the shadows in it for reference while painting. And I let my paper dry completely and work on that dry paper for the dark shadows. So I had to be patient - but it worked out better than in some paintings I did before.

More information about this picture (paper and colours used, size etc) can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.co.nr 

No comments:

Post a Comment