Monday 29 October 2018

October pumpkin


The month of October has a lot of autumnal themes in it and many of these are used for online challenges. To paint the theme in the challenge and publish the painting is a nice way to go out of your comfort zone and I have been doing that several times lately.

This time the pumpkin was twice in a challenge and I like the subject, so I gave it a try.
As pumpkins are not a familiar sight in my country I had to imagine a scene using some reference pictures for the leaves of the pumpkin plant and my memory of some pumpkins that are for sale in vegetable stores in this time of the year.
I made up a scene with a pumpkin, some leaves and stems and as I was painting, more leaves were added. 
While painting I decided to make a dark background in shades of green so the orange of the pumpkin would stand out.

This painting was evolving while it was being painted, that happened because I did not have much of a plan when I started painting. The result is maybe even better than I hoped for when I started drawing my pumpkin and some leaves.

More information about this still life (materials used, size,contact information, etc) can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment