Thursday 27 December 2018

Au bord du lac / The house by the lake


In previous posts I have mentioned that I was taking part in a contest, organised by the French magazine 'Plaisirs de Peindre'. 
For that contest we could pick a sketch from twenty suggested ones and paint with that sketch as guideline. There were three equal rounds, each giving twenty new sketches and each ending with twenty 'finalists'.
At the end of the contest there were to be twenty winners. The number twenty that keeps coming back is of course because of the twentieth 'birthday' of the magazine.

I have entered in the first round without result and I have published my entered paintings short after I found out I did not end in the finals with them.
For the second round I have painted several paintings, published the ones I did not enter and waited for the results.    I ended in the finals with this painting!
After the third round the final results and the twenty winners would be published and I waited for that to publish my painting.
I am not one of the twenty winners, but my painting was published in the magazine announcing my place as a finalist. 
Of course I am very proud that I have got this far and I am ready to try again next time.

The sketch shows a house by a forest lake or pond, surrounded by trees and bushes and there is a reflection in the water. 
I have made the house an abandoned building, as they are seen very often in France or further south in Europe. The forest is green, as in early summer (or late springtime) so some of the background can be suggested behind the foliage.
There is almost no wind, so the reflection is close to being a mirror image.

While I was working on it, the mystery came into my painting and I welcomed it of course.
I think the abandoned house by the lake has a nice story and I think I can best leave that to your imagination. I can paint the atmosphere, telling the story is not one of my talents.

More information about this painting (size, materials used, availability, contact information, etc) can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment