Monday 17 December 2018

Chapel - Conté sketching crayons on black


After having painted a lot of watercolour paintings I was looking for a change, a different technique and if possible, an experiment.
My Conté Sketching Crayons are relatively new to me (I bought them last summer and have not used them often) and I thought I could try these on my 'all black' heavy paper that I usually paint on with white gouache and some watercolour.

As the Chapel is a subject I can sketch by heart now I have done another imaginary landscape with it, now a night version. 
While I was drawing I could see the composition needed the clouds and moon for balance. 
These make the scene a bit more friendly - as I wanted this to be. 
I have tried to place the highlights in the right places and the light in the Chapel is also where it usually can be found.

The picture was more challenging than the drawing itself. I have tried to show the right colours and contrast but I fear I haven't got everything as it looks in reality.

More information about this Conté drawing can be found at my website www.jannekesatelier.webs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment